Friday, August 21, 2009

Truffault? Too tough.

I learned recently that Francois Truffaut, in an effort to educate himself, watched 3 movies a day and read 3 books a week. Fascinating numbers, but that's genuinely a fulltime job. Consider the average length of a movie, say between 90 minutes or 2 hours, and the extra long ones (LOTR's 3 hr stretch comes to mind) and you've got an average of 1 hour 45 minutes per movie, or 5 hours of sitting and watching every day. If you wake up at 9am and hit bed at 10 that's a 13 hour day and with 5 of those watching movies that's an 8 hours for other things. Such as life, and all that tricky stuff. Forget cramming a book into that too, how much did this guy actually get done on an average that wasn't research or self-education via osmosis like absorption?

Man I do love the english language. It lilts and lies upon my tongue like lavender drops on lilac kittens. Enough digression. I heard the stats and of course tried to mimic them, and so far haven't managed it until today. The movies that is, I'm not concerning myself with the books. And today it's only a technical achievement. The movies?

1. District 9. Very good, at Hoyts, Penrith with Jason S.
2. Finished watching Cats: the musical. I don't think this should really count, but you must consider the "DVD movie" that it is, it's not a live performance infront of your glazzies (eyes)
3. Hulk vs Wolverine
4. Hulk vs Thor

See what I did there? The last two are on the same DVD, sure, and they're really age-old stories because Marvels diverse character range has existed for near 70 years now, but I'm counting them as two individual movies because there's great variety in how a movie exists. "Short cartoon" movies aren't any less movies than epic scifi's.

As for "finished Cats" I download movies and watch them, or get them off a friend and watch them, but that usually means I get half way through and am bored by the novelty of the medium, that is the non physical DVD. If I didn't pay for it and can't hold it then it's not really real, so my interest for some reason wanes and I end up getting halfway, then turning it off and, I dunno, eating dinner. You know, I have anything else on.

So I resolved to finish off all movies I had started, which meant Cats, Coraline and Space Oddysey 2001. Oddysey I had never intended to view in several sittings but leaving it as the last thing I do of a night? Setting myself up for some major ninja nods there. Coraline was interesting but seeing I had the option of "get on with life" or "continue watching predictable kids claymation movie, where good triumphs and the style is now old-fashioned compared to earlier days" I chose life.

Whatever, the point is today I did manage to watch 3 (4!) movies and am closing the gap between Half watched and Fully watched. Next I have to work on watching the DVDs I bought off eBay after being inspired by whatever Hunter said in Screen Media. No, not Hunter S Thompson, he wrote Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (though that is a brilliant movie). Hunter Corday, Screen Media lecturer. At the moment Frost/Nixon tops that list, and then Romper Stomper. Also must get around to watching Trainspotting.

I figure averaging 1 movie a day should do for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment