Sunday, August 30, 2009

Just some old broad...

Gentlemen prefer blondes... made too long ago for me to know what the movie scene was like, and applying it to today's standards seems like it'd need a new eye, something like "old movie DVDs in todays audience." It is one of Marilyn's most famous roles so for all things Marilyn start here. There's annoying songs (old movie songs have always annoyed me) but with a fun storyline that is a little uninvolved for the viewer. Think of the storyline involved in The Importance of Being Earnest or The Big Lebowski, then drop it down 5 levels. There ya go!

Also we don't have any Marilyns or Jane Fonda's in this movie day and age, which is a shame. The closest I can think of is Scarlett Johanson in Lost in Translation, but she's losing that more and more with each movie, adopting the same "style types" as each other big actress out there.

Rather than giving a score out of 10 for older movies I figure I'd rate them on relevance to today's society, as well as movie historical value as well. Gentlemen prefer blondes? OH yeah, there isn't any chance of hearing about Marilyn without hearing about this movie. Jane Russell was also in it, but boohoo.

1 comment:

  1. I love watching older movies and gentlemen prefer blondes is one of my favs (but i do like the songs in it ;) )

    ReplyDelete