Sunday, April 22, 2012

Avacyn so far?

I remember when I heard that Scars was coming out, I was 100% over Rise of the Eldrazi before it even came out. The desire leapt to SCARS SCARS SCARS! Then I played Rise of the Eldrazi, and I was great to feel that "godzillas versus King kongs" feeling, so I was glad, in the end, that we didn't live a theoretical universe where you could skip ahead sets.

I'm getting a similar feeling with Avacyn Restored. I know, it's the third set before we begin the next set, but this is quite "meh" at the moment. Sure, Avacyn's back, SO THE STORIES DONE. The baddies get nurfed, equilibrium is returned. Angels and Demons, rather much. Sure it's a fun set, but it's a theme that shows itself every set that it can, so to me it's a bit like Zendikar. The flavour of that set was ridiculous, "adventure!" You know what Magic? A fantastic adventure game. Ever read ANY of the storyline, background or character text they give you with a fat back? Or read a novel? Making a set just "adventure" doesn't work, seeing that's every set. That's not to say playing like Indiana Jones wasn't cool, but for an entire set's theme? C'mon.

So Avacyn will hopefully be another Rise of the Eldrazi for me. One set I THINK I want to skip, but when I'm playing it good God I'm happy I didn't. And having said that, a return to Ravnica is certainly something to want to skip a set for! Ravnica, along with Mirrodin and Lorwyn, are my favourite of sets, for flavours and mechanics and just great memories of brilliant gameplay. It makes me feel a bit sad for my main play group, who got into things just around Time Spiral.

Eitherway, I am now the State Champion of VIEWPOINT, a great card game you should go here and check out: It's about $16 for the deck, then you have everything you need to play with everyone. That's cheap for so much play value.
http://www.93madegames.com.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment